Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Birman Smokes

 Here in Thailand we have some very strict laws on drugs. Any kind of drugs is strictly forbidden.
And when I say strictly , I mean  strictly, in the asian way.
Not that drugs like cannabis are not available, but it is not easy to find it and most of the time apparently dealers are the first to denounce you to the local authorities. And thrust me you don't wanna spend some time in thai prisons. Especially as a "farang".

It's not in the thai culture to smoke. You'll barely see people smoking cigarettes in the street.
On the campus, the only people I've seen smoking are outcomers ( "farang").



Apparently things are slightly different in Birmany which name is now Myanmar.
I'll probably gonna pay a visit in this country so you will soon have more insight of this country.
But friends of mine made a trip few month ago in myanmar and came back with many pictures. 
I've just pick up this picture of an old woman smoking birman homemade cigarettes. I assumed its cigarette but in fact I'm not sure.




Click on the picture to go to the 4 pictures album. You'll get a chance to see the size of the smoke. It's simply astonishing.



I was wondering whether my dear friend Sarkozy will allow these smokes on the french soil. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anne said...

Hey Tresor!

Thanks for sending us this link - I will be able to travel thousands of miles to visit you while I am just sitting at my plain old desk, just a few steps from where you used to sit, at Bull.
You might be happy to know that someone else is there now and they had to completely reformat the drive and reinstall the system on your old work PC, somehow some weird programs got installed it and they couldn't get rid of them... strange, eh?
And there are lots of organisational changes going on too - you were with us for the end of BU life as we know it - lots of changes, probably good, but it of course won't be quite the same.
Thanks for taking the time to post photos and talk about the country - like they say, it's the closest thing to be there...
Take care
Anne (from Bull, remember???)
ps want me to correct your English?? Just a joke, there's not much to correct, comme d'hab...