Thursday, February 01, 2007

Social Network : Quick overview

As you may be aware, there are a lot of social network opening everyday. The most popular worldwide are MySpace, Flickr, LinkedIn, Facebook. Back in France, Skyblog and Hi5 are also quite successfull.

But they are many others, actually a new Web 2.0 site pop up almost every day. I'm starting to wonder why there are so many existing social network and why new ones keep heaping.

If you want to keep up to date on Web 2.0 news, you may wanna check www.techcrunch.com  which is one of the most famous blog worldwide ( actually the 5th most popular) and is held by Michael Arrington . There is a French version, equally popular  (3rd french blog to be precise) www.techcrunch.fr held by Ouriel Ohayon. 
From time to time I'm doing english to french translations for them.



I'll post as well about the companies I find the more interesting for me and for people both France and in thailand. To be honest, Thailand isn't even close to see a silicon-like valley blooming anytime soon. But still there might be some good news for us who live here.



There are some social networks I think you should definitively be in.

MySpace is very popular in US and UK. If you have a lot of friends there, you definitly have to sign in.

If you are opened to others cultures you can try Hi5, it's full of people coming from very every countries. BTW my hi5 profile is available at tntresor.hi5.com.


You also have LinkedIn. It's clearly a Work/business-oriented social network. I think it's a powerful tool though it's not the magic wand that is gonna get you 
a job or an internship. I actually opened an account more than 1 year ago, but I didn't really keep it up to date.  But I'm currently working on it.  I'll soon blog about that.




Many others sites provide a social networking feature in top of other features, like Flickr where you can store your photos, or YouTube (no need to present).oriented
More on this topic to come soon.



One more thing, have you ever notice the orange icon on the right of the address bar. It's the RSS icon (those who use Internet Explorer 6.0 aka IE 6 and older wont see this icon, in this case I suggest that you update to IE 7). Just click on the icon to add my blog to your RSS feeds.


If you don't know what is a RSS feed click here or here for the french version.
For those of you who don't want the details, let's just say that you
will receive any update of 
the blog without having to come over. It's very useful, especially since who can keep on tracking many other websites and blogs.



If you have any troubles or questions, just leave a comment and I'll answer ASAP.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo for your blog. an excellent idea. look forward to good content

Ouriel - TechCrunch.fr