Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Studying in a Real International School

As you may know I'm doing a Msc at AIT.
The really cool thing with AIt is that it's a real multicultural environment.

It's not so common actually to find a school which is so focused on attracting international students.
Until now the overwhelming majority of students come from Asian countries, especially south Asia as well as, of course, Southeast Asia.
I knew very little (I dont want to say nothing) about Asia. So it's pretty exciting to have this opportunity to learn so many things from different countries.



Of course I'm just talking with individuals so the best I can get is a rough idea of theirs cultures and habits. But still it's very interesting. I'm gonna blog about each country I will get a chance to know (even roughly).



When it comes to school matters, well, let's say that compare to France, it's black and white.

I'm taking 3 courses in the School of management, which are actually courses for the MBA program.

Two of them are really great. Many of the students have already some experience. Average is 4/5 years and this makes the classes very interesting.
It's totally different from France, people here are hard-working and motivate.



I think that when you are paying 20000$ (which is also the tuition fees of my Msc) you want to do the best use of your money. Even if some are on a Scholarship, they are really aware of the price of their studies as well as the uniqueness of this opportunity. Some did even take a bank loan to pay for their studies.

I'm really glad to have left behind the French School of Management atmosphere of laziness and I-dont-care-the-class-sucks-anyway.



Add on top of that the variety of culture and mindsets, and you come up with a very fertile mix.

When you have a case study to do, people come with many different ways of looking at problems and it's pretty cool actually to discuss and share these different points of view.



I do have the feeling to actually learn things. I mean useful things that I think would help me in my future jobs. It makes a big difference both in the way I work and in the way I think.



I didn't mention the quality of the professors who are damn good. Again they come from Finland, Germany, India, Nepal etc. They are really into open discussion, interactive class and close interaction with students. It's really awesome.



I don't think I'll be able to go back to a standard Engineering or Management School in France (except maybe for an MBA).



Oh! Also I'm starting to think that having to pay for studies do have some advantages related to the implication and commitment of the students.


No comments: