Monday, February 05, 2007

WTF am I doing in Thailand anyway?

Some of you still don't know what I am doing here. So this small post will try to answer this
question.

So basically I'm doing a Master of Science in Information and Communications Technologies (in short Msc in ICT)
This is part of my Engineering studies at Telecom INT. What's interesting is that at the end I will obtain
two diplomas , the Msc from AIT and the Diploma of Engineer from INT.
that means that if I have to look for a job outside France I won't have to go through the painful process of
explaining the French system.

So I have 6 courses. I was supposed to take 4 like every body, but I asked for 5 and due to some
confusing administrative process, I end up with 6 courses.
Just for fun here is the list of the 6 courses:
  1. ICT Project Design : We learn how to manage a "real" project with all its important aspects
  2. Telecommunications Networks. The title is explicit. The only reason why I registered for this course is that it was required
  3. Advanced Topics on Internet : Basically everything about protocols on Internet
  4. Management of Innovation : really an interesting course with a lot of interaction. Very instructive one also.
  5. Technology Strategy: Where I see the interaction between Technology and the elaboration of a company strategy
  6. Management of Information Systems: The course is interesting. It really closed to what a IT consultant do in real life.
    Sadly, the teacher isn't so good. I guess I need to get used to his accent
And last but not least, I attend to the Financial Management class. This course is just fantastic, partially because
I'm interested by the topic and partially because the professor is simply great. Smart, dynamic, funny and still demanding.

All together I have 23 hours of class (instead of 14). I wanted to make sure that I won't get bored.
With that schedule, this is not likely to be the case.

That's all folks!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey dude,

That is true that I did not really know WTF you decided to go to Thailand. Thanks to your explanations, It sounds great, and I think you did well choosing 6 courses instead of just 4. In comparison with all the hours you spent in your 6 month internship, I am sure 26 hours per week is a fair quantity!
As far as I am concerned, I will work in a consulting company ASAP, and maybe in a few years (around 6 or 7 years), I would do a MBA in the States.
Good luck and have fun in your new homeland
See you 13

'INT' Greg

Tresor said...

It's a fair quantity for sure. But you also have to add group work etc. which is consistently more than back in INT.
Let me know when u start your work as a consultant. Maybe one of these days u will grant me with one or two post here to share your experience.
Cu for the MBA.
C u dude