Friday, March 02, 2007

First cinema in Thailand : The prices

So I went today to the cinema for the first time.
I'll tell you what it's look like as well as include some things you may want to know if you ever have to go to the cinema in Thailand.



First, in Thailand there is only one company who have all the multiplexes which name is Major. You have to check for each movie if english is available either for subtitles or as a VO. The one I saw was a Thai movie and english subtitles were available.


Second things to do is buy your ticket. The price is higher during the week-end (actually from thursday to Sunday lol) and we payed 120 bahts which is more or less 2.60 euros.

But there is some kind of class system. Apparently there are "Opera Places" which look like a two places sofa with two nice little tables at each end where you can put your drinks on. Price is 500 bahts then (11euros). There are also "Royal places" but I didn't see what they look like. But apparently it sounds like places in a balcony. That would be a 1000bahts for each. You really have to want to impress that girl ;-)



Oh BTW great difference compare to France, when you buy your place, you also choose it. Those who have tried this system for planes now what I'm talking about.

In concrete terms that means that you don't have to queue and get squizzed at the gate of the room. You can gently get in when you want and be sure that your place is free. Neat!


Though other french people don't agree with me I thing that ticket price are a little bit high for the thai standard. I mean I can eat some decent meal at the cafeteria for 30 bahts. So the cinema is 4 times higher than the price of a meal. The equivalent in France would be a price tag of 15-18 euros for a ticket.

Yet this the price that I pay for my unlimited access card in France. I will raise the issue when I chat with thai friends to get their point of view on that. Maybe I'm wrong somewhere.

I'll let you know soon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On s'habitue vite au faible coût de la vie en Thaïlande!! Un peu trop, peut-être...