Monday, March 12, 2007

The silliest question about my trip (so far)

I do get some let say "curious" comments about my stay in Thailand.

It has started since I started telling to people that I'm gonna stay 18 months in Thailand.


Generally people seem to think that the World is made of Europe and North America and maybe China (lot of people are talking about China on the news so there must be something there). You may include the Maghreb (well since a lot of these people have "invaded" France we do notice them - Courtesy of my friends Nicolas Sarkozy and Philippe de villiers).

But that's pretty much all. The rest is some kind of exotic places, some kind of parallel world where you may spend a couple of weeks in holydays, take a picture of beautiful landscapes and go back to the World (see paragraph above for the definition of the World) saying how lucky the people who live over there are lucky to have such a beautiful country.



So, I do get some not so smart questions, but I've got a winner here.

So I have this old acquaintance right? Its been 7years since we lost each other of sight. So we came across on one of these social network.
And when I told him, he came out with this silly question
"For what on earth did you go to thailand for? You dont like your life anymore?"


What am I supposed to understand?
That one has to be really fed up with his life to live France for thailand?
The guy has no idea of what Thailand looks like , nor whats life like here but still he assumed that moving here should be some kind of desperate act.



So people I know that 90% of what you think you know about Asia (to be general) is made of cliche, it's not a big deal I was just like you a couple of months before.

But please, think a little bit before asking stupid questions.

That being said I will gently answer all your questions.

4 comments:

Benoit M said...

People do not ask me why I went there. But locals ask me why I came. Surprising!?

Unknown said...

Hey dudi,
Don't be mad at those who do not understand the reasons of your stay in Thailand, it's no fault of their own. You see, some people don't think out of the box. The world is a large place. Have fun discovering it...

I was trying to find a sillier question. But I give up, this one has won the golden palm...

Tresor said...

To benoit: Singapour is widely seen as a developed country. that might play a role. But i dont really understand why locals ask you why u go there? Any clue?
To Greg: Yeah I know, the question was outstanding (not in a good way though).
How are you doing in Sydney?
When do you open your blog?

Anonymous said...

Moi aussi je me demande qu'est-ce-qui vous a fait vous décider pour la Thaïlande. C'est un choix étonnant. Pour ma part, je ne suis qu'au lycée mais rêve actuellement de faire une année scolaire là-bas probablement pour tous les atouts de ce pays que vous appréciez en ce moment.